3 Pro Tips to Creating Your Professional Vision
By Nicole Grimes, M.Ed.
So… you want to create your professional vision? Your vision is where you want to go, and your strategy is what drives your vision. Think about it like this, you vision is your destination, and your strategy is the vehicle to get there. Your plan is your roadmap. To truly create your vision, and see it manifest itself, consider following these three pro tips:
1. Create long and short term goals. Clearly identify where you see yourself or your business going. Take some time to jot down your specific goals. Ensure that you are creating S.M.A.R.T. goals – Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Results-focused, Timebound. Answer the following questions:
· What will the goal accomplish?
· What’s your method of measurement?
· Is it achievable?
· What is needed to accomplish it?
· What is the reason, or benefit of accomplishing the goal?
· What is the completion date?
2. Create your utopian vision of what you want to do professionally. Set your timer for 5 – 10 minutes and write your vision of what you envision. What does your vision look like? What does it sound like? How does it feel? How do others feel when they come in contact with you or your business? Who do you need to assist you? Who is your key team? These are just a few questions to get you thinking…write down what you really want to see. This is the written form of what you would create if you were designing an artistic vision board. This may seem funny or extreme, but if you are afraid to write down your own vision, it will never manifest!!
3. Establish timelines and targets. Now that you have established your goals and created your vision, it is time to identify clear timelines and targets. Think about this, long range goals are actually a bunch of strategically sequenced short term goals. Using your tools, you created, set actual dates on your calendar of when you hope to achieve your short-term goals. Remember, your vision is where you want to go, and your strategy is how you get there. You need to create your own road map to reach your destination.
Again, these are 3 steps that appear very simple, but can become quite complex once you start to put them down own paper. Take time out to invest in strategically developing your professional vision. Also, ensure that you revisit these steps periodically to assess, evaluate, and recharge your professional vision to live your best life yet!!
Corporate/Career Strategist, Nicole Grimes, M.Ed. is an advocate for empowerment, education, image development, and strengths-based coaching, with a passion for leading others to their purpose-driven lifestyle. A native of Louisiana, Nicole is currently employed as a Special Education Supervisor and is a doctoral candidate in Educational Leadership. She is the founder of Majestic Group, L.LC. To contact Nicole, visit thenicolemg.com.